ProfileTim Goodwin was called to the Bar in 2019, having previously practiced as a solicitor in a Tier 1 City employment team, and worked as an employment lawyer since 2012.
Tim has considerable experience of all aspects of employment litigation. He regularly appears in the Tribunals for both individuals and businesses, and has previous experience of managing cases in the Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal, High Court and Court of Appeal, acting for employers, employees and trade unions. Tim also has particular expertise in dealing with personal injury matters arising from employment disputes, such as psychiatric injuries sustained from bullying and harassment.
Tim’s experience as a solicitor enables him to work well with those instructing him, especially where there is a need for him to take on a greater degree of the responsibility in order to reduce costs or when acting on a direct access basis. The skills and experience he gained as a solicitor enable him to provide an invaluable additional perspective when acting directly for individuals and businesses.
Tim’s experience of employment litigation includes:
* Unfair dismissal claims
* Whistleblowing cases
* Sex, race, religion and other types discrimination complaints
* Disability-related claims, including reasonable adjustments disputes
* Equal pay claims
* Redundancy claims, including particular experience of collective consultation procedures
* Union recognition and works council disputes
* Unpaid wages and unlawful deductions claims
* Education claims, including the specific rules relating to teachers employed in the public sector
* Professional disciplinary and regulatory matters
* Costs cases in the Employment Tribunal
Tim’s recent experience includes:
* Acting for the claimant in a complex whistleblowing, discrimination and unfair dismissal claim, including seeking damages in respect of personal injury arising from the same.
* Representing an employee in a acrimonious harassment, discrimination and dismissal claim, culminating in an all-day judicial mediation.
* Representing a large employer in a multi-day discrimination and unfair dismissal Tribunal hearing.
* Advising an individual in an unfair dismissal and unlawful deductions case worth over six-figures, and achieving settlement in respect of the same.
* Representing a respondent employer in successful strike-out and costs applications in the Tribunal.
Appearing for an individual in a professional regulatory dispute.
Tim also has experience of giving advice in respect of employment appeals, including:
* Acting for a claimant in a leading whistleblowing appeal at the Court of Appeal stage.
* Advising an individual on the potential scope for appealing their claim to the Supreme Court.
* Advising an employer as to grounds of appeal in the EAT regarding matters of quantum.
In addition, Tim has specialist knowledge and experience of advising on worker status and gig economy issues, and his commentary on the subject has been quoted by the Guardian, the Independent, the Wall Street Journal, Vanity Fair and the BBC. Tim has also provided media commentary on a range of other topics, such as the Unison Tribunal fees case, employment law pledges in election manifestos and settlement payments for high ranking government officials.
Contact the Expert
Complete the form below to contact the expert directly.