ProfileKatharine is a common law practitioner, regularly being instructed in a broad range of commercial, civil and criminal matters.
Katharine is an experienced advocate in both the County Court and High Court. She is recognised for her attention to detail and approachability. High standards of client care are always placed at the heart of Katharine’s work; she quickly gains an appreciation of what the client wants to achieve and provides pragmatic advice.
Katharine’s practice encompasses a broad range of practice areas, including:
- commercial litigation, such as contractual and sales of goods disputes. She has a particular focus on civil claims involving allegations of misrepresentation and fraud, as well as a particular interest in cases involving jurisdiction issues. Katharine has recently received instructions on one of the most high value and complex civil fraud claims to be issued in the Commercial Court (Tchenguiz & Ors v Grant Thornton UK LLP & Ors);
- insolvency matters, both corporate and individual;
- professional negligence claims;
- landlord & tenant disputes, including mortgage possession proceedings, charging orders, orders for sale and disrepair claims;
- regulatory work, with a particular emphasis on sports related disputes and licensing.
Katharine regularly drafts claims, other statements of case and provides written advice on the merits of a claim. Clients acknowledge her thorough pleadings and clear and concise advice on liability, evidence and quantum.
Notable cases include:
- Vincent Tchenguiz & Ors v Grant Thornton UK LLP & Ors: Summary judgment application on the true construction of a Settlement Agreement as well as whether the doctrine of illegality was engaged. Permission to appeal granted.
- Dawsonrentals Coach & Bus Ltd v Geldards Coaches Ltd: Interim application for delivery up of vehicles on finance after the hirer fell into arrears. The issue to be determined was whether the Court could exercise its discretion to delay an order for delivery up so the vehicles could be used for local authority school transport.
- Parker v Walker: Claim against solicitor as joint tortfeasor for misrepresentations made in relation the sale of parcels of land through land banking schemes.
- Oraki v Dean & Dean (a firm) & Anr (Court of Appeal): Appeal on the liability for a trustee’s expenses following the annulment of a bankruptcy order on the grounds that it ought never to have been made.
- Barry Town United FC v Football Association of Wales (FAW): Claim for a declaration that the FAW had acted unlawfully in denying Barry Town football club full membership in the league.
Katharine undertakes a broad spectrum of criminal work and has experience of private prosecutions. She is a determined advocate and has a particular acumen for advancing legal arguments in relation to the admissibility of evidence and abuse of process.
Katharine has particular expertise in:
- local authority and trading standards prosecutions such as applications for liability orders following non-payment of non-domestic rates, unlicensed street trading, prosecutions under the Housing Act 2004 and consumer protection legislation;
- road traffic matters including drink drive cases;
- representing professionals accused of criminal offences in the course of their employment ranging from serious sexual offences to fraud offences.
Notable cases include:
- R v Haddad (Court of Appeal): Application for permission to appeal in relation to a restraint order sought in a private prosecution for fraud offences concerning the actions of a trust beneficiary.
- R v Decker-Heath (Court of Appeal): Appeal against sentence for violent disorder at an illegal rave at a disused post office depot next to East Croydon station.
- R v W: Sentence of teacher found in possession of indecent images of children and extreme pornographic images.
- R v P: Successfully defended teacher accused of assaulting pupil.
- R v A: Successfully defended paramedic accused of careless driving (including hitting a pedestrian) involving the calling of expert collision evidence.
Contact the Expert
Complete the form below to contact the expert directly.