ProfileJonathan’s primary areas of practice are commercial and public law. After reading law at Oxford, Jonathan qualified as a solicitor in the City. He then spent two years at the Court of Appeal. He joined the Bar in 2008 and has brought this varied professional experience to his practice at the Bar. He receives instructions in a wide range of matters and has developed a broad client base. He has published widely in leading academic and practitioner journals, particularly in the area of public law and consumer credit.
He has built on-going relationships with direct access clients, providing practical and efficient legal advice on a number of discrete issues as well as representing those clients in court in a variety of business disputes. He drafts letters on behalf of his direct access clients so as to assist prior to any litigation being commenced and deals with the court paper work if necessary.
He has recently been building his banking experience, having dealt extensively with financial mis-selling claims over the past few years.
He is on the Attorney General's Panel of Counsel and primarily acts in immigration matters. He appears regularly in the Upper Tribunal and Administrative Court in immigration judicial review challenges (e.g. R (Adebayo) v SSHD  EWHC 787 (Admin); R (Kakar) v SSHD  EWHC 2093 (Admin) and R(WU) v SSHD  EWHC 1163 (Admin)).
Examples of commercial work are:
• Drafting standard terms and conditions for a large PLC selling equipment nationally
• Advising on the interpretation of contracts (for example as to whether certain terms can be implied in an insurance contract and IT licensing agreement).
• Advising in cases under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 / Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 / Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 / Consumer Rights Act 2015.
• Acting in a trial for a direct access client concerning the interpretation of various telecommunications contracts.
• Advising as to jurisdiction in a complex commercial dispute.
• Acting and advising in a variety of building disputes.
• Acting in a variety of retail disputes (often for direct access clients).
• Advising as to validity of guarantees in international transactions.
• Acting in a variety of misrepresentation claims.
See his full profile here: http://www.hendersonchambers.co.uk/barristers/jonathan-lewis
Contact the Expert
Complete the form below to contact the expert directly.