ProfileI have an advisory and litigation practice that covers the range of taxes (most notably, corporation tax, income tax, CGT, VAT and SDLT). I have extensive and wide-ranging experience particularly in the areas of: litigation, M&A, restructuring, property, commercial supply chain, corporate/individual residency, fund structuring, employee incentives, trusts; covering sectors involving real estate, construction, retail, financial services, technology, media, intellectual property, health, internet business and aviation. I also advise on tax related criminal investigations.
Before returning to the Bar, I spent over a decade working as a tax solicitor representing clients on a diverse range of issues.
I am authorised by the BSB to conduct litigation. I regularly advise on HMRC enquiries and hearings in the First-tier Tax Tribunal / Higher Courts. Current and recent advocacy/litigation experience includes:
• Judicial Review and APNs (2015)
• Acting for a leading supplier in relation to a dispute with HMRC concerning VAT on single/multiple supplies (2015)
• Advising companies on HMRC challenge to residence status (2014)
• Advising a supplier on recovery of input VAT attributable to repair costs (2015)
• Advising on self-employment status of workers (2014)
• Advising on film partnership dispute (2010-12)
• Banerjee v HMRC  1 All ER 985; 80 TC 205;  STC (Court of Appeal and High Court): Acted for the taxpayer in case concerning deductibility of expenses for income tax purposes.
Ranked in Chambers and Partners UK for Tax in 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011: He is "very bright and mixes commercial acumen with the academic rigour required in tax work."
I am the author of the 7th edition of: VAT and The City: Foreword by Michael Conlon QC: ‘VAT and the City is the invaluable vade-mecum for the practitioner and in-house expert alike’. I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and a Visiting Professor in Tax law at BPP University. For further information please see www.julianhickey.com
Contact the Expert
Complete the form below to contact the expert directly.