was called to the Bar in 1982 and have been continuously in private practice

ever since. I was in chambers in Manchester until 1992 when I moved to Preston

because most of my practice was in Lancashire.


the first 10 years I had a general common law practice that included crime,

civil, matrimonial, matrimonial finance, personal injury, children law

including wardship, inquests, disciplinary tribunals (mainly police),

employment and immigration tribunals.


moving to Winckley Square my practice became more focussed on family law with

an emphasis on public and private law children work. I also began to undertake

work in the Court of Protection.


the years I have appeared at all levels of court from the Family Proceedings

Court (Magistrates) to the House of Lords (now the Supreme Court).



CM v Blackburn

with Darwen Borough Council [2014] EWCA Civ 1479

A Local Authority v J & MM

[2013] EWHC 1820 (Fam)

Lancashire County Council v SB,

SH, WH, NB [2013] EWHC 653 (Fam)

Re X (A Child) [2011] EWHC 3401


Re M (Placement Order) [2011] 1

FLR 1765

Lancashire County Council v D and

E [2010] 2 FLR 196

Lancashire County Council v B

[2001] 1 FLR 583 (HL)

Re M, T, P, K and B (Care: Change

of Name) [2000] 2 FLR 645

H v H (Child Abuse: Access)

[1989] 1 FLR 212

The matters I can help you with include:

(1)             Public law children (care proceedings). Parents will be entitled

to public funding, but you may find yourself involved as a non-parent for

various reasons. You may be a grandparent or other relative who it is said may

have caused injury to the child. You may be a relative seeking to care for a

child whose parents may not be not in a position to do so. The local authority

may or may not support your position. You may be anxious that a child in your

family may be placed for adoption or long term fostering.

(2)             Private law children (disputes over what used to be called custody

and access, then residence and contact, and now child arrangements).

(3)             Disciplinary tribunals. I have experience of Police and other disciplinary


(4)             Inquests.

(5)             Court of Protection.


Contact the Expert

Complete the form below to contact the expert directly.